Monday, April 28, 2008

Blog #10

1.African American women approached the issues of reform and suffrage by forming their own suffrage movement groups in their own communities. White female suffragists, although overcoming class conflict, still would not allow for African American women to join their cause. The Jim Crow laws made it harder for African American women to organize their own reform movement, however, ultimately those laws would become fuel for their fire and push them to success. African American women were competing not only for voting rights but also for natural rights that many of the White women already had.

2.The suffrage movement and the feminist movement were different in quite a few ways. First off the idea of feminism is a lot more vague and general than that of suffrage. It may be so because feminism deals more with a woman’s private life than her public function. The suffrage movement is a strictly political business since it deals with a woman’s right to vote, whereas the feminist movement is more of a social and cultural issue which borders on taboo. This is because it challenged old ideals and traditions and tried to swing the evolution of culture into a different direction.

3.“Talks on Feminism Stirs Great Crowd” offers a variety of definitions for the term feminism. One definition given is that, “…feminism is an educational ideal.”(461) Another view offered by Max Eastman was that, “Feminism is the name for the newly discovered and highly surprising fact that it is just as important for a woman to be happy as a man.”(461) George Creel said, “Feminism is simply part of the great world fight for freedom and justice and equality, and might better be called humanism.”

4.Women’s economic independence plays an important role in feminist thought. When a woman has economic independence it basically means she has gained more freedom. Freedom from a marriage and in turn the man who supported her, freedom to do as she pleases with her own money, freedom to be with whoever she deems fit. Overall economic independence in general is not only freedom but a higher quality of life, because a person can finally do whatever it is they want to do without answering to a higher power.

5.Since I am a man, a rather open-minded and reasonable one might I add, I feel that my view on feminism might be ultimately skewed to fit what I understand about women since they are in fact rather complicated creatures in my eyes. First off, I feel that the concept of feminism may have changed from the time period in which it was conceived up until the present. To me feminism is an ideal which strives to rid people of gender bias, to show that women are equal to men in all aspects, and that people need to learn, understand, and keep a strong sense of justice and morals.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tyler R # 1

Hi George! First, I gotta say, you are pretty funny. Love the humor in your answer to the last question. But moving on, I also really like your response to the last question. You really do seem like an open minded man. Feminism is an ideal that strives to rid females of the discrimination that they have previously and presently face. It focuses on making females equal to men and making them separate from the cookie cutter house maker mold. Like in the number four response you said that economic independence gives a woman her freedom and that that freedom gives her many options. Feminism gives women an outlet to have that independence, gain that freedom and make their own choices. Being a female ( don't let the name fool you) I do believe that women should be allowed the same opportunities as men, but I also thing some women take advantage of it. There are certain women that advocate for equality, but when it comes to being treated equally they want to be treated like ladies. So I think if you want complete equality be ready to be treated like it.

Anonymous said...

Virginia Avunjian R1
Hi George, this is a very well written blog, I must agree with the way you explain the differences between the suffrage movement and feminist movement. Feminist movement is more of a social change for women. I also like the fact that you didn’t specify only women in this fight because in today world we have a quite a few men that are feminist. There were a lot of men feminist in the document “Talks of Feminism Stirs Great Crow,” I also enjoyed reading the humor you put in the answer for the last question. I’d just like to tell you that we aren’t very hard to understand its just matter of listening. :o) ”…ideal which strives to rid people of gender bias, to show that women are equal to men in all aspects…” I must agree with your definitions of a feminist. The idea of not just a women fighting for no gender bias is something I forgot to mention in my blog. And as I was reading your blog I realized that it was a very important fact that I left out.

Anonymous said...

Bran’D R #2

Tyler, I really enjoyed reading your response. One point that stood out to me was the statement you made about equality between men and women. With that said, I definitely agree that it is one thing to say and support equality between the sexes, but it’s another thing to actually follow up on it do it. That didn’t occur to me until after reading your response, and for a few feminist advocates that idea does stand true. It’s just like the saying goes, “ladies first,” which not only supports the point you made, but also in a sense reflects the unequal treatment of men and women that obviously still exists.

Gogzilla said...

George R#2

Hi, Virginia. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on my blog, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I did feel that male support of the feminist movement was a big part of its success. At first I was more surprised than anything that in that day and age there would be so many male advocates on behalf of the feminist movement. As much as I was surprised I was also happy that men in those days actually took the initiative and realized the importance of this reform movement.